Author Topic: Integrate with Joomla?  (Read 4676 times)

callin

• View Profile
Integrate with Joomla?
« on: January 07, 2006, 03:17:32 pm »
Howdy,

I run a Joomla site and use a Component for it called Philaform - it would be so fantastic if I could have Philaform add the new sub directly into ListMail.

However, I have no idea how to accomplish this.  LOL

TIA!

lambertb

• View Profile
Integrate with Joomla?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2006, 08:59:43 am »
Don't know if you ever got a reply to this, but you can use Amember (amember.com) to integrate into Joomla and also ListMail Pro.  You can set it up to take "free memberships" when they fill out that form, they get access to your stuff and they are added to both Joomla and ListMailPro.

Brian

BGSWebDesign

• View Profile
    • http://www.bgswebdesign.com
Integrate with Joomla?
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2006, 09:22:35 am »
Hi Brian,

Joomla

Please tell me HOW this is different from Moodle?  I've been playing with the idea of adding Moodle courseware to my website - at the Moodle site people are going on about 'Joomla'?

Is it the same thing?  Or is it similar but not quite the same?

From what I saw Amember/Moodle does NOT allow 1 login, nor does Amember/LMP does it - unless you code your own - which wouldn't be too bad from what I saw with Amember - looks very adequate at doing what I want - and reasonably priced and well supported.

I'd appreciate any comments/thoughts you have about this - have you setup/used Amember synchronized with LMP and with Moodle/Joomla?
Thanks,
-Brett
http://www.bgswebdesign.com/Contact-Us.php

*** I do custom List Mail Pro installations ***
Contact me through my website (above)

lambertb

• View Profile
Integrate with Joomla?
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2006, 09:45:13 am »
Moodle is a "component" that can be added to "joomla"

Joomla is an open source platform that is available for free.  It comes with content management etc "out of the box."

People then create components.  These components do all kinds of stuff.  It's like if you have a palm pilot and people write palm pilot apps.  Palm Pilot = Joomla (the platform).  The custom apps = in this case "Moodle"

So, the goal is to find something to integrate with Joomla first (amember does this) and then your component second (which may or may not work).

For example, I know for a fact that the current version of Joomla 1.0 works with amember.  Don't know about the add-on of Moodle.

Here's what I do know

Joomla USED TO be called Mambo. But the dude that made Mambo didn't want to give up the name, but he gave up the software because it's open source -- go figure.  Anyway, the "community" vacated the Mambo premises and renamed it to Joomla and put it on steroids.  1.0 has been out for awhile and MOST Mambo components work with it

However!!

1.5 is coming out soon, which is going to trash a ton of components.  Remember, it's all open source.  So people are working on these components in the basement until their spouse gets annoyed and leaves them because they are drinking too many mountain dews staying up all night for no money... so a lot of components/add ons won't work on 1.5.

If moodle is "a paid" component, you're probably ok -- they want to keep making $$..

I'm sure the guys at amember will be fine because 1)they're awesome and 2) they are fast and 3) a ton of people integrate amember to joomla

The only thing that I KNOW doesn't work from amember-Joomla is COMMUNITY BUILDER.  don't use it (it's an addon).  It kills amember-joomla integration.

Some slang for Joomla is J!  and J!2CB  (like Joomla to Community Builder)... you know?

Hre's a ton of info on J! here (just remember, whenever you see "Mambo" it's J! version 1.0.  When they come out with J! 1.5, 95% of mambo stuff probably won't work.  This is on the amember site.  Do a search in their forum too.

Here's a tip:  Move to J! with Moodle, get it working and sit for awhile!!

http://amember.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4217

And
http://www.amember.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3696

Oh and by the way....

When the amember guys say the "don't have single sign on" it usually means the true meaning... sign on one time (in amember) and cruise all applications (never loggin in to any of them).

For example, I have amember that "hooks" into LMPro, Joomla, a Job Board (custom) for 40.00, help desk software, and PHPBB forum.  

All of these all use the SAME SINGLE username and p-word from amember   (the layman's "single sign on") but they don't all use the "same cookie" which would let you in essence log in to all of them at once.  What that means is, I log in to all of them individually with the same username and p-word (which is cool).  Yes, when you change something in amember, it DOES go to the other databases.  Highly, Highly recommend it.  

LMPRo to Amember is the coolest thing since sliced bread IMHO

:D