Author Topic: Install Problems  (Read 2258 times)

jude

• View Profile
Install Problems
« on: January 01, 2005, 01:18:25 pm »
Hi,

I just purchased List Pro and have been trying to install it. I kept getting an error so I went back and looked through everything again to make sure I was following the instructions exactly. It wouldn't create the database tables. I figured out that in the files that I downloaded the config.php file is coming through on my system as a config.php.txt file. No matter what I do, I can't seem to get it changed (renamed) to just config.php. I use Windows XP. Any suggestions?

MagicStrategy

• View Profile
    • http://KillerSalesLetter.com
Install Problems
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2005, 07:26:05 pm »
Load config.php.txt in your text editor (Notepad).

Make the changes necessary.

From the File menu, choose "Save As" and save it as config.php

As the instructions explain, "save the file as config.php, not config.php.txt. The reason we do this is so that your config file is not overwritten when updates are released."

You'll want to follow the instructions very closely. If it seems too complex, pay a little more for an installation.

jude

• View Profile
Install Problems
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2005, 05:17:05 am »
Yes, I did "save as." I ended up having to "rename" from my ftp program and that worked. I'm all installed except for my bounce and signup cgi's. Since I'm not at all a "techie," I'm taking it one baby step at a time. Thanks for your response. (Unfortunately, I can't afford install costs right now.)

Thanks,

Jude

MagicStrategy

• View Profile
    • http://KillerSalesLetter.com
Install Problems
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2005, 10:37:24 am »
Typically, you'd do a "save as" with the different name on your desktop computer, then ftp that file, already renamed, to your website host.

What you did will work, of course, but when you download an update and unzip it on your computer, you'll overwrite your modified file. There will still be one out there on your host... but if your host ever craps out, you'll have to re-figure everything again.

DW

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • https://legacy.listmailpro.com
Install Problems
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2005, 05:40:45 pm »
Thanks for your contribution, MS!
Dean Wiebe
ListMailPRO Author & Developer - Help | Support | Hosting

jude

• View Profile
Thanks and another question
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2005, 08:18:52 am »
Thanks, guys!

I am working on my next "baby step" in the installation - the bounce.cgi configuration. I apologize for my ignorance, but I have not installed more than a couple [simple] scripts before.  :oops: I created and modified the .procmailrc as directed and modified and added the bounce.cgi script to the cgi bin, but when I send a test bounce email I don't get a confirmation. That, I assume, means it's not working. Should I just use the email bounce option instead? (3rd option in Configuration).

On the signup-list1.cgi: If I'm reading it correctly, each time I want to add a new autoresponder (list) I need to 1) create a new email alias (account) in my server control panel; 2) create and modify a new signup-list.cgi file with the new autoresponder name and put into the cgi-bin; 3) create the autoresponder and messages in the ListMailPro control panel. Is that correct?

Thanks for your help!

Jude

DW

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • https://legacy.listmailpro.com
Install Problems
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2005, 05:08:05 pm »
bounce.cgi is, perhaps, the trickiest part of installation.  The process (email aliases forwarding email to a CGI script) can vary greatly across hosts and may not be supported.

The first thing you should do is ask your web host how it's done on your server.  Tell them you want all email to bounce@yoursite.com forwarded to a CGI script (bounce.cgi) in your CGI bin.  They will let you know whether it's supported and, if so, let you know how to go about setting these up.

With email signup, you need to configure another CGI script for each list or sets of lists, entering this data in the "$list" variable in the script.  After that, you can point one or more email addresses to that CGI script to facilitate signup with a blank email.  You do not need to enter anything into the ListMail control panel when setting up an email signup script/address.  The list being subscribed to simply has to exist.

Email signup is not required.  Depending on how easy it is to set up the email aliases/forwarders required on your host, you may or may not want to use the feature.  Form subscription has the added benefit of directing subscribers to a completely customizable thank-you page, keeping their attention on your web site.
Dean Wiebe
ListMailPRO Author & Developer - Help | Support | Hosting