Author Topic: Adding an e-mail address that is already on the deleted list  (Read 7001 times)

nednorris

• View Profile
Adding an e-mail address that is already on the deleted list
« on: October 17, 2005, 07:54:03 am »
Here's a situation.

Someone joins a list and gives their e-mail address. They subsequently remove themselves from the list and are added to the "Delete List". A few days later they return and add their e-mail address again. Under those circumstances I would have thought that it would have known that they were already on the list (all be it on the deleted part of the list) and so not add them again.

The reason that I ask is that at the moment it seems open to abuse.

Someone intentionally signs up someone to the list (i.e. not themselves). The person then requests to be removed. Then the joker rejoins them even though they're already on the removed list.

Another scenario would be when you have two lists; Prospect and Customer.

Someone asks for a money off coupon code and so is added to "Prospect" list. A week later they buy and so are removed from the "Prospect" list and added to "Customer" list. A week later they go back and add themselves to the "Prospect" list again and get the coupon code a second time, etc, etc. Surely, when they are added to the delete part of the "Prospect" list they should then not be able to join the list again. I would have though that this was the whole purpose of keeping a "Delete" part to a list.

Thanks for your help with this.

Ned

BGSWebDesign

• View Profile
    • http://www.bgswebdesign.com
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2005, 09:35:17 am »
Hi Ned,

I would have though that this was the whole purpose of keeping a "Delete" part to a list.

Well, I can tell you from experience, people do this all the time!

They remove themselves, and come back and add themselves again, especially if a coupon is involved....  You can use the Custom Perl/PHP scripts (at link below in forum) to control if they are 'reset' back to 1st day, or just re-added, if they re-add...
Perl Script:http://listmailpro.com/forum/index.php?topic=171.0
PHP Script:http://listmailpro.com/forum/index.php?topic=172.0

The problem you are talking about would be solved with a 'Per List' Blacklist, The 'Per List' Blacklist, where you blacklist people from the list, for that list only, and not from other lists....

Another way to do this is with a GLOBAL Blacklist, which I've asked for before... hopefully DW will add it to the list of things coming in the future, as it would be useful.   The only problem with that is that the person cannot add themselves to ANY of your lists, and this is probably not what you want - unless you're preventing the 'joker' who adds someone else to the lists... that would solve that problem....

You should get comfortable/used to people adding themselves/removing themselves from your list to grab coupons, either that, or consider sending out more coupons... as people wil use that method frequently if they have to....
Thanks,
-Brett
http://www.bgswebdesign.com/Contact-Us.php

*** I do custom List Mail Pro installations ***
Contact me through my website (above)

DW

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • https://legacy.listmailpro.com
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2005, 03:07:56 pm »
Great example, Ned - thanks.  I can see how this can be abused. I've moved this post to the suggestions forum so I don't forget to consider it when implementing the ban/block feature.

Regards
Dean Wiebe
ListMailPRO Author & Developer - Help | Support | Hosting

nednorris

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2005, 08:24:55 am »
Quote from: "DW"
Great example, Ned - thanks.  I can see how this can be abused. I've moved this post to the suggestions forum so I don't forget to consider it when implementing the ban/block feature.

Regards

Cool.

I can see where Brett is coming from above and agree with what he says, but to keep up with Can-Spam regulations and the various other data protection rulings around the world, we just wanted to make sure that any unsubscribers were totally out of the loop.

I might be wrong, but I think either a current ruling or an upcoming one is that unsubscribers should not be deleted as such, but instead moved to an opt-out list, i.e. a list that has specifically asked to be removed and so will not receive future mailings. I think they also need the option to opt-out of all lists at the same time. I hate that ability, but again I think that it is either a current requirement or it is going to become one.

A couple more things. It would be great if we could log IP addresses with each subscriber as I think that this will be a future requirement as well and so it would be good to have it in before it becomes law.

And lastly, you are doing a brilliant job mate. I've used a LOT of newsletter/autoresponder software over the years along with paid for services such as Aweber and of all of them I think yours is by far the best value for money, the most feature packed, and the easiest to use. You're doing a BRILLIANT job!!!

DW

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • https://legacy.listmailpro.com
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2005, 03:30:07 am »
Ned,

I think you make some important observations about the possible future of email.

The IP address is logged with all signup methods except blank-email with no confirmation.  Check out the "edit" page for each individual user.

Thank you very much for your kind comments.  I hope you don't mind if I post them as a testimony. :)  Tell me your web site URL and I'll put it in the message.

Thanks!!
Dean Wiebe
ListMailPRO Author & Developer - Help | Support | Hosting

nednorris

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2005, 02:00:55 am »
Quote from: "DW"
Ned,

Thank you very much for your kind comments.  I hope you don't mind if I post them as a testimony. :)  Tell me your web site URL and I'll put it in the message.

Thanks!!

No problem. My full name is Ned Norris and my main web site is www.rusc.com.

Keep up the great work. Can't wait to see future versions  :D

Ned