Author Topic: Development Plans  (Read 2552 times)

toma

• View Profile
Development Plans
« on: March 06, 2005, 10:11:01 am »
I just read your update on adding new features to listmail. It all sounds good but considering that sendmail is the most widely used mail server and that this software works poorly with sendmail--I would think that making it work right would be a higher priority.

Previous to using listmail I used dadamail which never failed to send out its mail quickly via php and sendmail. Since dadamail is opensource perhaps you could open up the code and see how they make it work and apply it here.

I enjoy much of what listmail does for me and the only time I wince is when I send mail. Its slow process that continually stops, requiring manual intervention over a span of 6-8 hours to send 20,000 mails. I had not anticipated that when I bought this software.

If making sendmail work with listmail is not possible perhaps you could change the system requirements to exclude sendmail in favor of exim, etc. Otherwise those of us with sendmail will continue to buy this software under the assumption it will work with our servers.

Thanks
Tom

DW

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • https://legacy.listmailpro.com
Development Plans
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2005, 02:34:24 pm »
Tom,

I apologize for the frustration.  There were a few quirks with sendmail (SMTP) and ListMail.  I have fixed a major one in the most recent distribution (v1.77b), which you might want to re-download.  One problem is that, unlike other mailers, sendmail can perform it's own checking as to whether an address is deliverable.  This resulted in abnormal SMTP responses and a ListMail error, resulting in failed sending.  ListMail now recovers gracefully from these responses, and will soon interpret them.  There is one more problem with SMTP that is being investigated and that is "random" service disconnections.  If you still experience stoppages in your mailings with the latest revision you might want to try setting your "Reconnect every X emails" SMTP setting to a lower number.  I can't guarantee this will help, as I do not know why such servers randomly disconnect.  I am working on detecting and recovering gracefully from these types of interruptions.

Regards!
Dean Wiebe
ListMailPRO Author & Developer - Help | Support | Hosting

toma

• View Profile
Development Plans
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2005, 08:52:17 pm »
I'm using the latest version, dowloaded again just now, and I have tried all varieties of settings. Below is the error message I will be seeing all evening as I try to mail to 20,000 people.

I've been using sendmail to deliver to this list for years. It only failed when I switched to listmailpro. Its not a sendmail issue.

It seems like something that should be fixed right away. I feel silly having to press the click here button every 15 minutes.

Tom

Queue Row: queueid=17e3786b9553dbaa3a6151396c92d292 msgtype=1 userid=61427 msgid=57 email=removed@yahoo.com)

Server said:250 2.1.5 ... Recipient ok

And while writing this email it happened again.

Sending error. Check your mail settings.

Queue Row: queueid=ac99d0e8fb3cd1835d6fad8840458aab msgtype=1 userid=50302 msgid=57 email=removed@aol.com)

Server said:250 2.1.5 ... Recipient ok

DW

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • https://legacy.listmailpro.com
Development Plans
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2005, 10:53:26 pm »
I'd like to look at this for you.  Perhaps the fix is not available in the latest downloadable files with your configuration.. (though, I could have sworn it was).  Please submit your server information here with a note about what's going on.

Regards
Dean Wiebe
ListMailPRO Author & Developer - Help | Support | Hosting

mike2

• View Profile
Development Plans
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2005, 09:18:03 am »
I use listmail pro with sendmail and rarely have it stop during a mailing of about 150K.  20K shouldn't take much longer than 15 minutes anyway... not defending it, obviously somethings up with your configuration somewhere.

Hope you get it fixed, just wanted to put in my .02 about listmail with sendmail.  I'm looking forward to the update as I have been waiting over 1.5 years for it, lol.