Author Topic: Multiple Lists Unsubscribe  (Read 8394 times)

lambertb

• View Profile
Multiple Lists Unsubscribe
« on: March 13, 2006, 10:43:00 am »
Hi!

I have the multiple lists form running.  I got the code off of another forum post.

It appears that the signup process is fine (I turned on "overwrite duplicates" to get it to work).

the problem is, when someone tries to unsubscribe and they check more than one box, it always says:

There were errors removing you from our mailing list(s):
User not found in database. You should not receive any more email.

This isn't good, because it clearly says "you shouldn't receive anymore", but then the next mailing goes out and they get one!    :(

I can't send any more mailings until this is fixed in my form

Is there anyway you can look at it and see what is messed up?

The code is:

<form method=post action=http://www.upsa-intl.org/email/signup.php>
<p>
<input type=hidden name=overwrite_dupes value=1>
<input type=checkbox name=lists[] value=2><strong>Dynamic Transactions</strong> (from UPSA HQ) <br><br>
<input type=checkbox name=lists[] value=19> UPSA-Atlanta (Atlanta, GA) Updates <br> <br>
<input type=checkbox name=lists[] value=7>UPSA-Boston (Boston, MA) Updates <br><br>
<input type=checkbox name=lists[] value=4> UPSA-DC (Washington, DC) Updates<br> <br>
<input type=checkbox name=lists[] value=5>UPSA-RTP (Raleigh, NC) Updates<br><br>
<input type=checkbox name=lists[] value=16> UPSA-Seattle (Seattle, WA) Updates<br><br>
<input type=checkbox name=lists[] value=6>UPSA-BENELUX (Belgium, Netherlands, Luxembourg) Updates<br><br>
<input type=checkbox name=lists[] value=3>UPSA-SA (Southern Africa) Updates<br><br>
<input type=checkbox name=lists[] value=8>Sales Competency Council Updates<br> <br>
<input type=checkbox name=lists[] value=9> Selling Cycle Management Council Updates<br>  <br>
<strong>First Name:</strong><br>
<input type=text name=fname size=20><br>
Last Name:<br>
<input type=text name=lname size=20><br>
<strong>Email:</strong><br>
<input name=email type=text size="30">
<br>
<br>
<select name=submode>
<option value=sub>Subscribe</option>
<option value=unsub>Unsubscribe (Remove)</option>
</select><br>
<br>
<input type=submit name=sup value="Subscribe/Unsubscribe!">
</p>
</form>

lambertb

• View Profile
Another Thought
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2006, 10:49:16 am »
Is there a "master unsubscribe form" that I can create that will go through ALL the lists and take them out.

I found this person who was complaining on a list that I didn't know she was on.  

In other words, when someone unsubscribes, can they be taken out of ALL lists no matter if they unsubscribe to that specific list or not?

Brian

DW

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • https://legacy.listmailpro.com
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2006, 08:25:00 am »
Brian,

The multi-list code likely needs to be optimized for multiple unsubscriptions.  Global remove IS possible with some new options available in "Remove Link" message codes.  You can now set the code to remove the user from one, multiple, or all lists.

If you don't have the new options, introduced in v1.84 I believe, you should upgrade to v1.85 available in the member area.

Regards, DW
Dean Wiebe
ListMailPRO Author & Developer - Help | Support | Hosting

lambertb

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2006, 05:33:08 am »
That's for the link at the bottom of the email-- correct?

I am running 1.85.  But, I don't see where I can edit the html code on the unsubcribe form confirmation.  That would be good -- to have anohter button show up that says "unsubscribe all" or something.

But, it's just the one button.

How would I "optimize the form" to take care of it on the one master page I have?

People want to go there and "configure their lists" in one spot.  They don't want to have to wait for an email to come in and then click the bottom of the email.  Though, I agree, the "remove" code at the bottom of the email is a good option and will use it moving forward.

But, I really need to do something with this form :(
:
I do see in the form codes where it says

Remove user from multiple lists. Users are removed from the mailed-to list, utilizing it's Custom HTML, as well as these lists (separate by commas, * = all)"
Does this mean, if I have a "*" in htere, that whenever they unsubscribe the bottom of the email that says "remove me from this "specific" list" it will really remove them from ALL lists?

I still want to be able to have the option to unsubscribe from 1 list, but not from the rest.  If they unsubscribe from 1 list with this enabled "*", then they get taken off of all of them.  They might only want to come off of one.

Also, if I use that form, and they uncheck "unsubscribe" there on that form, they are therefore not clicking the link.  That's a problem too right?  The settings for the "Remove link" are not going to be the settings for the "remove form" right?

I have created a "removeall" list code, so now I will send out at the bottom of all my emails

!remove (this list only)
!removeall (all lists)

But, I still need to figure out what do with the form.

Brian

lambertb

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2006, 04:45:45 pm »
Hi Dean

I was wondering if I can pay you to get this resolved?

Brian

DW

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2006, 05:09:54 am »
Brian,
I don't see where I can edit the html code on the unsubscribe form confirmation. That would be good -- to have another button show up that says "unsubscribe all" or something.

Currently it is not possible to remove from all lists via form.  
How would I "optimize the form" to take care of it on the one master page I have?

This will take some modification of ListMail that isn't very straightforward.
People want to go there and "configure their lists" in one spot. They don't want to have to wait for an email to come in and then click the bottom of the email. Though, I agree, the "remove" code at the bottom of the email is a good option and will use it moving forward.

Yes, I see your point.
Does this mean, if I have a "*" in htere, that whenever they unsubscribe the bottom of the email that says "remove me from this "specific" list" it will really remove them from ALL lists?

Yes, that's correct.  You would need to set up two message codes with alternate options and HTML link titles.
The settings for the "Remove link" are not going to be the settings for the "remove form" right?

Yes, that's correct - the two processes are separate.  I have some great plans for ListMail forms but am working on a number of direly-needed improvements first.

Unfortunately I am swamped right now, finishing a few things before the next update, so would appreciate being able to pass on the custom script for now (unless you make me an offer I can't refuse;) ).  This feature, if it doesn't make it into the upcoming update, should be in the next.

Regards, DW
Dean Wiebe

terriz

• View Profile
is this fixed in 1.86??
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2006, 02:31:24 pm »
Am I correct in thinking this line from the 1.86 changes list means the issue referenced in this thread is now fixed?
- added list options to remove/add users from/to other lists when removed/added to list

<fingers crossed>

DW

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2006, 06:20:33 pm »
Am I correct in thinking this line from the 1.86 changes list means the issue referenced in this thread is now fixed?

No, unfortunately, but your reply did re-alert me to your original post.  I'll try to do something about this for the next update which I could have out next week.

Regards
Dean Wiebe

lambertb

• View Profile
Can't Wait to See it!
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2006, 09:31:58 am »
If you need someone to test it let me know!

DW

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2006, 10:45:12 am »
I've already rewritten multi-list subscribe handling for the next update - this is next!

Regards
Dean Wiebe

DW

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2006, 04:39:58 am »
An update fixing this issue will be out very soon....

View Changes
Dean Wiebe