Author Topic: Overwite Dups (retain UID)/Optl Welcome Mess/Personal HTML  (Read 2291 times)

chufford

• View Profile
Overwite Dups (retain UID)/Optl Welcome Mess/Personal HTML
« on: April 02, 2005, 08:01:12 am »
Dean,
Thanks for the new version! I am integrating the modifications I did to 1.77 into 1.8. I wanted to tell you my modifications to see if you want to integrate my code into the release version or integrate the functionality. The mods are all to signup.php:

1. I added code so that if you overwrite duplicates (overwrite_dupes) it will retain and reuse the original records UID code. I have a local database where I have a copy of their UID and this allowed me to match up a duplicate and treat it as an update rather than a whole new entry. It also helps with unsubscribes - if someone does a duplicate signup, their old unsubscribe links (using UIDs) will still be valid.

2. I added an optional "sendwelcome=yes/no" field to signup forms which can suppress the sending of the welcome message. This is not an option I give users, but I have some internal signup pages for my employees to manage the lists. I didn't want to give them access to the entire ListMail interface so I have the special signup page where they can decide if a Welcome Message should be sent.

3. I added the ability to use some message codes to customize error messages. !fname, !lname, !email and !id. That way, I can say, "Joe, your email address, joe@blah.com is no longer subscribed to this list".

Let me know if you have any questions or would like the code I wrote for these.

Thanks.
Chris Hufford

DW

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • https://legacy.listmailpro.com
Overwite Dups (retain UID)/Optl Welcome Mess/Personal HTML
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2005, 01:27:50 pm »
Quote from: "chufford"
1. I added code so that if you overwrite duplicates (overwrite_dupes) it will retain and reuse the original records UID code. I have a local database where I have a copy of their UID and this allowed me to match up a duplicate and treat it as an update rather than a whole new entry. It also helps with unsubscribes - if someone does a duplicate signup, their old unsubscribe links (using UIDs) will still be valid.

This is a very good idea and one I should implement right away.  I will be further expanding overwrite_dupes and ignore_dupes options soon.  Instead of having options on the form itself, I will allow you to simply specify a "formid" variable which will correspond to options set up in ListMail.

2. I added an optional "sendwelcome=yes/no" field to signup forms which can suppress the sending of the welcome message. This is not an option I give users, but I have some internal signup pages for my employees to manage the lists. I didn't want to give them access to the entire ListMail interface so I have the special signup page where they can decide if a Welcome Message should be sent.

Another good suggestion.  I had thought to include these options for each form.  I may, but will also incorporate it into the upcoming "formid" feature.

3. I added the ability to use some message codes to customize error messages. !fname, !lname, !email and !id. That way, I can say, "Joe, your email address, joe@blah.com is no longer subscribed to this list".

This is very cool!  I could easily allow message codes to be used in (certain) error messages - good idea.

I'm moving this post to the suggestions forum so I don't forget to make all of these changes.

Regards
Dean Wiebe
ListMailPRO Author & Developer - Help | Support | Hosting