Author Topic: Firefox Browser  (Read 2029 times)

steve

• View Profile
Firefox Browser
« on: October 19, 2004, 08:57:01 am »
I've been using the Firefox browser and I like it.

But, I recently sent out an e-mail to about 1000 users on one of my lists and the application kept hanging up.

Since the counter was not moving after a long time, I did the suggestion listed on the screen and clicked on the button - I can't remember what it says.

Then, the counter would go down every time I hit that button. 0 of 898, then 0 of 868, then 0 of 845 and so on. The longer I waited between hitting that button the number would be lower.

At the end, I checked some test accounts and they did get one issue of the newsletter. But NO bounces were received (VERY unusual).

Then, I got an e-mail from someone who told me they got SIX of the e-mails (NOT good).

The test I sent out before I sent to the big list went okay and normal.

Unfortuantely, I did not document much of what happened. Any ideas?

Steve

DW

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • https://legacy.listmailpro.com
Firefox Browser
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2004, 01:59:07 pm »
You have to be careful when hitting Resume.  It's not good to hit it too soon because some servers will keep loading a page even after the browser closes or stalls.

The best thing to do is open a new browser window and view the items remaining in "queue".  Browse to another page in the program so the counter updates and see if the number of remaining messages decreases.  If it decreases then the sending process is still going and you should not Resume yet.
Dean Wiebe
ListMailPRO Author & Developer - Help | Support | Hosting

steve

• View Profile
Firefox Browser
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2004, 03:47:01 pm »
Just as a follow-up. My advise for now would be to avoid using Firefox as a browser when working with ListMail.

It's no big deal, just use IE for those interactions with the ListMail application.

The issues I've seen is the "not updating counter" issue mentioned in this e-mail and also when I tried to import new users from a CSV file, it worked, but I did NOT get confirmation (number of users, duplicates and bad address counts). Again - it did work, but the screen did not update - same as when I sent the e-mail.

Many ListMail functions do work, but the critical issues like hanging up when sending will not be good for you as you wonder if the mail went out!

Again, no big deal, but for now I would say that ListMail is currently not Firefox friendly.

Dean, I could try to do some UAT and give you details about what happens and what does not happen if you are interested.

Steve

DW

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • https://legacy.listmailpro.com
Firefox Browser
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2004, 08:22:52 pm »
I, too, am using FireFox for most of my browsing now.

I believe this issue is due to the fact that I use JavaScript like this:

<script>

instead of

<script language=JavaScript>

..when updating the counter, to minimize bandwidth usage / requirement.

The shortcut works in IE but not FireFox.  This will definitely be fixed for the next release.

If you send email using ListMail and FireFox the counter will not update but your emails WILL be queued to the server.  (This is why the number of emails decreased as you hit Resume) Hitting "Resume" too soon can cause undesirable results such as duplicate messages because the server can keep running the PHP script for up to 30 seconds after you stop loading the page.  For best results, wait a minute or two before hitting Resume.  To be absolutely sure the old send process has stopped, load a new ListMail window and make sure the "messages left" in the queue do not decrease as you refresh the page.
Dean Wiebe
ListMailPRO Author & Developer - Help | Support | Hosting