Author Topic: Issues When Moving to a VPS Account  (Read 2097 times)

steve

• View Profile
Issues When Moving to a VPS Account
« on: March 25, 2005, 06:45:48 pm »
Hey Dean,
We'll I made the move to a VPS account with ApolloHosting (good company) and I again am having some configuration issues that I may need some help with.
I'm getting all sorts of failures when I test mail and I can not figure out why.

Testing mail servers..
[Bounce Handling]
Is enabled?  Yes, Using bounce.cgi
Sending TESTBOUNCE email to bounce address.. Failed.[SMTP Server]
Is enabled?  Yes
Connecting to SMTP server.. Connected!
Verifying username and password...Authenticating User/Pass... Failed!
The SMTP server is not configured correctly. Check your settings.

I'm quite certain that I've got the STMP server settings correct. Since this is a VPS account, I've tried both 'news@domainname.com' and just 'news' for the Login ID.

The system is using Sendmail, so I uploaded the .procmailrc file as suggested and even tried naming it .rc.local.init (ringing any bells?).

I've uploaded the bounce.cgi and signup-list1.cgi files and set them to 755. I've also added a crontab.txt file (for wget???) into the home directory.

Note that this is new for me - VPS account. I'm using a "shared" e-mail system between the various domains that I manage. So, I am a bit confused about where to place the files.

I've been working on this about three hours and I just can not get it to work. If you have a suggestion concerning somthing that I missed let me know but I think I might prefer to give you access to the server and take care of it for me and provide some documentation for future reference.

The ListMail coffers would get another slight boost from me since it would be worth my time - this stuff just seems a bit beyond me.

Let me know.

Steve

DW

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • https://legacy.listmailpro.com
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2005, 06:36:31 pm »
Steve,

You should be able to get bounce via mailbox working with a standard mailbox using the same login details as might be used in an email client like Outlook.  Are you sure you have the usernames and passwords correct?

As for email aliases (bounce.cgi and signup-listX.cgi) it is hard to say what will work with your server.  rc.local.init does sound familiar, and I could probably figure it out with some testing, but this is not something I normally do for free.  What I recommend is that you ask your host exactly how you go about creating an email address that "pipes" or "forwards" to a CGI script on your server.

Regards
Dean Wiebe
ListMailPRO Author & Developer - Help | Support | Hosting

steve

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2005, 06:59:21 pm »
Dean,
I've been double checking the e-mail account with little luck. Since it is a VPS account, I have tried the login as "news" and as "news@domain.com" since I do need to use the full domain to log in and grab the mail with Outlook.

The server set up seems to be a standard Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS server using HSP Control Panel (SWsoft).

I just quickly checked about creating an e-mail address that forwards to a CGI script and the tier one support guy did not know.

If this was a standard Linux install, could you give me an estimate on cost to set up? It may be worth it for me to have you set it up on the first domain and then I can set up the others.

Let me know.
Steve

steve

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2005, 07:01:18 pm »
Just read your message again. I was not setting up bounce using e-mail address - I'm trying to use the bounce.cgi script.

steve

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2005, 07:17:48 pm »
I got it. My original configuration you helped me with was, well, unique. Now that I'm using a more standard server setup I just used your standard setup configuration.

I needed to add an e-mail address for the bounce address - bounce@domain.com. Then I had to set the SMTP server to localhost and uncheck the AUTH? box and everything was good.

Thanks - your comments actually made me look in a different direction - maybe I just needed another look at it after a 24 hour break.

Steve

DW

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • https://legacy.listmailpro.com
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2005, 07:33:52 pm »
Sorry about that, I mis-read your "Test Mail Settings" output and assumed the "Failed" meant the bounce could not authenticate properly (mail method).

Bounce Handling]
Is enabled? Yes, Using bounce.cgi
Sending TESTBOUNCE email to bounce address.. Failed.[SMTP Server]

The "Failed" message (above) is somewhat concerning, too.  This might indicate that PHP mail(), used for the test message, welcome and confirm messages, and some notifications, is not working on the server.

Do you receive Welcome messages ok?

Regards
Dean Wiebe
ListMailPRO Author & Developer - Help | Support | Hosting

steve

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2005, 03:42:47 am »
Dean,
It's working so we are good. All of the testing is working properly now and I was able to send a message to my test list.

I may have some other questions for you later - but we will deal with that when the time comes.

Thanks,
Steve