Author Topic: Mailing stops  (Read 5008 times)

jgoth

• View Profile
Mailing stops
« on: October 10, 2006, 09:44:44 am »
When I start sending, sometimes the sending page does not update - and sometimes it never even appears, but the mailing starts. After a while I check the status by having to close the window (or log out if I never get off the home page), then log in to see the status at the top of the window.

Then I resume the mailing, usually never going off the home page. After a while I will logout and re login to see where I am at. Anywhere from a couple hundred to several (eight or nine) hundred emails will have gone out, then I resume again.

This process can take hours of monitoring for a list of 10,000.

DW

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • https://legacy.listmailpro.com
Mailing stops
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2006, 10:27:00 am »
Are you on the latest version of ListMail (v1.87d) available from the member area?

Have you tried enabling the SMTP log to see what it says when it stalls?  If not, I recommend enabling "Always write SMTP log" on the Config page.

You could try setting
Code: [Select]
$smtp_timeout = 60;
in config.php as some servers have trouble with a recent timeout variable (default 9s, but I'm considering raising it to 60)

Regards
Dean Wiebe
ListMailPRO Author & Developer - Help | Support | Hosting

jennifer

• View Profile
Mailing stops
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2006, 08:57:20 am »
Dean,
I have the exact same problem.  I have the latest version, and I also changed the smtp timeout to 60.  But I still get this message every hundred or so emails:

Sending error. Check your mail settings.

Server said:
RCPT TO: <email@address.com> (it lists a valid email address)
250 2.1.0 ... Sender ok
250 2.1.5 ... Recipient ok

Please help - I have been trying to figure this out for weeks!  I can't check the log because it doesn't give me one when the mailing stops.

Thanks very much,
JK

DW

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Mailing stops
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2006, 04:22:09 pm »
JK,  I wish I could offer more advice... Try changing the timeout to 30 seconds and if that doesn't help please submit your information so I can investigate.

Regards
Dean Wiebe

jgoth

• View Profile
Still having problems
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2006, 05:04:57 am »
I am still limping along with this program half working. When I do a mailing, sometimes the mailing page comes up and sometimes it doesn't but the mailing does start. Then I have to log out, log back in, resume, wait a while, log out, log back in, resume, etc. It seems to get a few hundred emails out then fails. This is costing me a ton of time and keeps me sitting in front of my computer for hours trying to get a newsletter out. I am currently hosting the listmail on one server and sending all of the email through a separate virtual dedicated server. I am willing to change servers, pay you to investigate, whatever so that I can have a stable, functional program running. I also have two licenses, so I would like to set up another program somewhere as a backup.

mike2

• View Profile
Mailing stops
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2006, 08:12:31 pm »
As a temporary help (but still needed full time) setup the auto-resume feature.

This way you don't have to babysit it right now while having problems.  But, even later it comes in handy for occasional hiccups.

DW

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Mailing stops
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2006, 04:38:45 am »
Hi Jay,
When I do a mailing, sometimes the mailing page comes up and sometimes it doesn't but the mailing does start.

Does/can the blank page happen on any ListMail page or just when sending? This could be due to the web server being overloaded or ListMail SMTP connection delays/problems.  
I am currently hosting the listmail on one server and sending all of the email through a separate virtual dedicated server.

Some messages (welcome, confirm and some notifications) are always sent by the web server via PHP mail, therefore it is usually recommended to have SMTP available on the same server or a very fast/close network.  Is there an SMTP server on the local server available for testing to a fairly small list?

I am willing to change servers, pay you to investigate, whatever so that I can have a stable, functional program running

How many emails per day do you expect to send?  A VPS might only be able to be expected to send 100,000/day or even less if there are widespread blocks against your IP or messages.

Thanks for the input, Mike. :D

Regards
Dean Wiebe

dl1217

• View Profile
Mailing stops
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2006, 07:15:23 am »
Hi,

I seem to have this mailing stops problem sas well... ive tried from 2 different VPS's and receive the same errors saying recheck mail settings after it sents 1-5k mails.

sendmail works fine it seems but very slow and i plan on sending a 250k list every 48hrs

I was having a major problem with qmail and exim not emptying queues but LMP setting the mail up very fast, now the problem is te opposite :(

TY,

DW

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Mailing stops
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2006, 05:15:34 pm »
Please try increasing the timeout variable as suggested earlier in the thread. Regards, DW
Dean Wiebe

dl1217

• View Profile
Mailing stops
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2006, 06:53:49 am »
thanks that fix the problem in some way but still errors after a little time.

i was thinking maybe the list was to big (250K) so i changed it to 50K

and i still receive
Server said:
354 go ahead
451 qq trouble creating files in queue (#4.3.0)

unless this might be a list error or insufficient RAM?
it works fine on a higher end VP i tested on but that one goes real slow like 2-7k/hr which is not software fault seems to be a slow conenction all together.

Thanks for the help Dean  :D

EDIT: could very well be the memory issue, the host has just informed me i have to move my site due to high load.

will be in touch for a server analyze when the dedicated is launched.

DW

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Mailing stops
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2006, 05:48:32 am »
I'm surprised your host caught it that fast.  It did look very much like a system/hardware error message and not a standard sending message. Regards, DW
Dean Wiebe

dl1217

• View Profile
Mailing stops
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2006, 02:01:12 pm »
well.... i have it installed on a dedicated server now that was deployed last night, yet of course my luck another problem  :evil:

im getting excellent speed placing mails into the queue with LMP but exim wont push out the mails any faster then 500-1k/hr

here are my exim.conf settings maybe someone can give a hint?

#nobody as the sender seems to annoy people
untrusted_set_sender = *
local_from_check = false

rfc1413_query_timeout = 10s
smtp_accept_queue_per_connection = 0
split_spool_directory = yes
queue_run_max = 7000
queue_run_in_order = false
queue_only_load = 35
remote_max_parallel = 1000
smtp_load_reserve = 35
smtp_receive_timeout = 5m
smtp_accept_queue = 35
smtp_connect_backlog = 100
smtp_accept_max = 20000
smtp_accept_max_per_connection = 30000
smtp_accept_keepalive = true

# primary_hostname =
deliver_queue_load_max = 35
auto_thaw = 0s
ignore_bounce_errors_after = 1h
timeout_frozen_after = 8d

TY  :?

DW

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Mailing stops
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2006, 09:01:37 pm »
Maybe someone with a cPanel server can offer their exim.conf?  I unfortunately don't have access to  server running Exim right now. :(

Regards
Dean Wiebe

dl1217

• View Profile
Mailing stops
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2006, 09:40:40 pm »
what is covered in the installation or analyze?
anything similar to setting part of it up for us where we can be out of these troubles?  :lol:

starting to get desperate lol havent sent any newsletter since last week o_O

DW

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Mailing stops
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2006, 04:17:16 am »
With a Server Analysis I would do my best to figure out your mail problems and I generally don't quit until I have a solution. :D

Regards
Dean Wiebe