Author Topic: Sending process stopping at 1,000, even with a reconnect  (Read 2227 times)

scottscomp

• View Profile
Sending process stopping at 1,000, even with a reconnect
« on: December 04, 2007, 10:32:20 am »
I have an email list of approximately 50,000.  We just moved the list to a brand new dedicated server for this purpose.

During the sending with a Reconnect Every 1200 messages, it will send exactly 1,000 messages and then report "421 too many messages in this connection."

So I set the Reconnect Every to 900 messages.  This is what happens (according to the SMTP log that it creates):

(this is the 900th email)
> MAIL FROM: <bounce@4xriches.com>
> RCPT TO: <recipient_address_goes_here>
250 OK
250 Accepted
> DATA
354 Enter message, ending with "." on a line by itself
> SENT DATA
250 OK id=1Izbxv-0002Lq-M9
> QUIT
221 server.4xconfidential.org closing connection
LM: Reconnecting... 221 server.4xconfidential.org closing connection
Connected!
> EHLO localhost
250-server.4xconfidential.org Hello server.4xconfidential.org [74.50.110.25]
250-SIZE 20971520
250-PIPELINING
250-AUTH PLAIN LOGIN
250-STARTTLS
250 HELP
> MAIL FROM: <bounce@4xriches.com>
> RCPT TO: <recipient_address_goes_here>
250 OK
550 authentication required
LM: Undeliverable. RCPT response: 550 authentication required
. Skipping.
> RSET
250 Reset OK
(then another MAIL FROM: and the cycle continues)

After 12 attempts with a "Skipping. RSET" every time, it says  "554 Too many nonmail commands".

It's almost like, when it does re-connect, it's not re-sending the username/password to make the connection again.  It's reconnecting but not re-authenticating.

Does that make sense and is there a fix?

Yes, I did try adding $smtp_timeout=45; to the config.php - it did not help.

-Scott

scottscomp

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2007, 01:32:09 pm »
I FOUND A SOLUTION!

I didn't know this but the server has the "Authorize by checking email" feature enabled for our POP accounts, so I hit that option instead of "Auth", and I'm at 19,000+ during this send and it's still going.

Thanks!

Side note - if you happen to read this - does the bounce.cgi script really make that big of a difference on performance?  I spent a couple hours trying to set it up and I think I'm getting stuck at the piping step..  if I have a list of 100,000 and I'm adding 10,000 to it daily and maybe 10% of new additions are bouncing - should I use the bounce.cgi - or keep using the pop account?

DW

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • https://legacy.listmailpro.com
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2007, 02:10:50 pm »
Mailboxes can become very slow with a few thousand messages in them.  This is mostly due to overloading of the users' mail folder with too many files (After a few thousand hard drive accessed degrades significantly.  Splitting files up into many folders is usually required for storing that many files.)  Therefore I recommend continuing your attempts to set up bounce.cgi

Regards
Dean Wiebe
ListMailPRO Author & Developer - Help | Support | Hosting