Author Topic: Slow mail sending with new install of version 1.8  (Read 2923 times)

debbuxton

• View Profile
Slow mail sending with new install of version 1.8
« on: June 15, 2005, 07:25:00 pm »
Hey Dean,

I have a couple of sites using the 1.7 version on my dedicated server at Dreamhost. This week I installed version 1.8 on a new domain on the same dedicated server. I then did an email to about 300+ people and it took about 10 hours. I am not kidding. It even stopped a couple of times.

I had the guys at DH take a look at things and everything looks good. I also have a mailing that goes out from version 1.7 every morning at 1am to 300 or so people and it is done by the time I get to the keyboards in the morning.

So trying to figure out what is different in version 1.8 that could be causing this problem. Especially since I want to upgrade my other copies.

I did set the id as primary key on the sendq table.

Anything else that might be an issue?

deb

DW

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • https://legacy.listmailpro.com
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2005, 03:23:00 am »
Hi Deb,

Have you tried another mailing and, if so, are you still experiencing the same performance?

v1.8 should be just as fast and more reliable than v1.7.

I wonder if someone else on the host making extensive use of MySQL or sending a very large amount of email at the same time as you were.  Is the speed consistently this bad?

Regards
Dean Wiebe
ListMailPRO Author & Developer - Help | Support | Hosting

mike2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2005, 09:01:56 am »
Yikes this is terrible.  300 Emails should go out in less than 1 minute.

I'd say there is a grossly misconfigured mail or mysql system or something really really bad.

On my list of 150,000 I average around 30,000+ per hour with a fairly small message, 3-5k or so.  It rarely ever stops during a mailing, even though it has stopped a couple of times.  I'd love to see a background mailing feature instituted.

debbuxton

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2005, 10:10:52 am »
I haven't done another mailing, but will be today so will know a bit more. Since I have a dedicated server there is very little traffic on it and no one else was doing anything with mysql at the time.

I will see what happens today when I do a mailing.

Thanks for the note.

d

debbuxton

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2005, 11:04:35 am »
Update: Did a mailing to 60 people and slower than molasses. I have to head out for my son's field trip for the day, but will look at this when I get back.

There are no other processes currently running on the server and this is just way too slow. Seems less than 10 emails a minute.

Ugh!

deb

mike2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2005, 02:08:44 pm »
Yea there is something VERY VERY wrong.  What kind of server is this?  Operating system?

No matter which, it still shouldn't take so long.  What about the DNS servers it's using, maybe DNS isn't right and it's taking forever to lookup each hostname, that's where I'd start...

debbuxton

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2005, 04:48:02 pm »
Quote from: "mike2"
Yea there is something VERY VERY wrong.  What kind of server is this?  Operating system?

This is a unix server. I don't really think it is the server as I have version 1.7 running on the same dedicated server and it runs just fine -- in fact, I have a couple of copies of it running and no issues.

That is what is so puzzling. This is a brand new install of version 1.8. I will do some more poking around. Is there a way to revert to version 1.7? Are the tables, etc. the same?

deb

debbuxton

• View Profile
Can I go back to using version 1.7?
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2005, 07:12:41 pm »
Quote from: "debbuxton"

That is what is so puzzling. This is a brand new install of version 1.8. I will do some more poking around. Is there a way to revert to version 1.7? Are the tables, etc. the same?

since i am having such a problem with 1.8. I would like to revert to an old version does anyone know if there is a problem in this? Are all the tables named the same, etc.  Dean???

d

DW

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2005, 05:02:27 am »
The tables have changed a bit between v1.8 and v1.7, but not too much that I couldn't send you a list..  Are you sure you're not using PHP mail() instead of SMTP?

Regards
Dean Wiebe

DW

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2005, 06:17:47 am »
Deb, do I have your hosting information?  If not, submit it to http://listmailpro.com/support with some notes and I'll take a look.

Regards
Dean Wiebe

debbuxton

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2005, 03:13:43 pm »
Quote from: "DW"
Deb, do I have your hosting information?  If not, submit it to http://listmailpro.com/support with some notes and I'll take a look.

Regards

Dean sent the info via the contact form. One curious thing has risen though. I have set up a test list and I added some email addresses that are outside my server (starband and fuse.net). I then sent a mailing. The mailing was not received by any of the outside addresses, just the ones that the domains are hosted on my dedicated server.

I have a note into DH to find out if something is set up wrong with the domain, but don't understand why it is doing this.

Thanks,
deb

mike2

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2005, 01:22:18 pm »
Got a feeling that your email program isn't setup to accept messages from itself, check the email logs.

DW

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2005, 09:45:17 pm »
Quote from: "Deb"
Dreamhost is also taking a look at the logs. As not sure if you got my message about the test I did yesterday. On the test list I set up email addresses that were off the server and those emails were never received when I sent a test message. However, the emails for those domains on my server received okay. Not sure what that is about, but have DH looking into making sure the domain is set up correctly.

thanks,
deb

Quote from: "Deb"
I am not sure what is going on, but whether you did something or something that DH did things seemed to be working. I don't know totally about the sending, but I do know that I sent a test message and received the messages at my email addresses outside the server. I really hate a mystery like this, but if things "unlocked" themselves then the end result is that they are working and that is okay by me. ;-)

let me know if you seen anything,
deb

Deb,

Have you been experiencing normal mailing times since things have started working again?  If not, I'll use the access you sent me to investigate further.

Regards
Dean Wiebe