Author Topic: warning on line 1791  (Read 2539 times)

chief

• View Profile
warning on line 1791
« on: March 30, 2008, 04:27:21 am »
I get the following when sending mail.
The mail appears to keep sending, but I wonder what the warning below means to me

If I go back to the mail screen and then RESUME, the warning clears, but it comes back later. The list is over 100k users

I mean I see what it says, but how do I verify that the mail is actually being sent?

Thanks for anybody's feedback

Warning: mail() [function.mail]: Could not execute mail delivery program '/usr/sbin/sendmail -t -i ' in /home/urhorizo/public_html/lmp/admin.php on line 1719

DW

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • https://legacy.listmailpro.com
warning on line 1791
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 05:33:32 am »
It is not advised to send to such a large list using internal PHP mail as each message spawns a new process on the server.  Without (extremely unpredictable) delays there are likely to be problems due to the length of time it takes for DNS lookups causing a very large number of running processes.  I highly recommend using SMTP for sending, which uses a single connection and advanced queuing methods to avoids this issue entirely.

Regards
Dean Wiebe
ListMailPRO Author & Developer - Help | Support | Hosting

chief

• View Profile
host or ISP issues
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008, 04:37:11 am »
I have a dedicated high end server with hostgator

If I use SMTP what issues do I face with the host or ISP when sending large lists ?

Do either have access to an outbound traffic sending counter that would throw a flag if over a specified rate of send is exceeded?

I believe that is why I chose to use PHP mail - as there is no such monitoring.

Am I correct?

If so, is it possible to write an error script to monitor such issues as you raise in your response above to keep the mail going out thru PHP mail without interruption.?

Thanks

DW

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • https://legacy.listmailpro.com
warning on line 1791
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008, 08:46:19 pm »
Greetings,

On a dedicated high-end server you should be able to send as much email as you want, although I don't recommend more than about 150k per day per server).  I do not believe HostGator's shared hosting policy (mentioned here) would apply to dedicated servers.

A dedicated server can reasonably be expected to be used for commercial email marketing.  If you send unprofessional email your server provider might take notice, but if you send professional email and always include a remove link, as well as have "signup forms" or lead sources so you can explain where you get your subscribers from, you should be allowed to send a very reasonable amount of email (Again I recommend ~150k/day max to be safe and so you can work on your reputation with the various providers such as Yahoo).

I am not familiar with any method to monitor PHP mail to make it more stable and do not have immediate plans to do so, however it does sound like a good suggestion to look into that.

Please let me know if you have any more questions!

Regards
Dean Wiebe
ListMailPRO Author & Developer - Help | Support | Hosting